Sointula Waterworks District
2020 Tolls BYLAW NO. 108
A bylaw for fixing tolls and other charges payable to the improvement district and the terms of payment thereof.
The Trustees of Sointula Waterworks District ENACT AS FOLLOWS:
The following monthly tolls are hereby fixed and made payable by all owners of land in the improvement district to which water is delivered from the works of the improvement district:
1. Un-metered Water Rates
a) In respect to each single-family dwelling, each duplex, each suite in apartment building, each additional dwelling, cabin, trailer, or other accommodation on the same parcel of land utilizing one connection, using water from the improvement district’s works, and installed before May 27, 2009 and each wharf finger of a Harbor Authority a toll of $26.00
b) In respect of each single-family dwelling utilized as a multiple-dwelling, boarding house, bed and breakfast etc. for transient, short term rentals, a toll of $26.00 plus, from June 1st to September 30th, $8.00 for each sleeping room available for rent and/or $9.00 for each sleeping room available for rent that includes a kitchenette.
c) In respect of each marine service centre or fuel service centre, a toll of $53.00
d) In respect of each grocery/department store, each restaurant, coffee shop, drinking establishment, deli, or bakery, each hotel/motel whether operated separately or in conjunction with any other type of business, a toll of $53.00 pre month plus $8.00 per office or leased unit, or sleeping room available for rent, and/or $9.00 for each sleeping room that includes a kitchenette.
e) In respect of each school , each trailer court, camp site, each laundromat, shower, or car wash facility, a toll of $53.00 plus $6.00 per washing machine, shower unit or car wash unit or classroom. Does not include a mobil home court.
f) In respect of each fishing company with ice making capacity of over 10 tons, a toll of $279.00
g) In respect of each fishing plant, a toll of $195.00
h) In respect of each senior citizen’s housing complex, a toll of $9.00 per unit.
i) In respect to a business or commercial enterprise not listed separately in this bylaw, any building or premises having commercial space leased out, a toll of $51.00
j) In respect to any building or premises having commercial space leased out, and not listed separately in this bylaw, a toll of $51.00 plus $8.00 per leased unit.
k) In respect to the post office, a commercial toll of $53.00 per month.
1. The district has determined that the following are exempt of toll charges:
Public health/medical centers, Public Museum, Public Seniors Center
Community Church, Public Recreation Association buildings
Public library, Public fire hall, Community garden connection
2. The owners of premises will have the option of being billed monthly, bi-monthly or yearly. If monthly or by-monthly the tolls are due and payable on or before the last day of the month or second month. If the tolls are paid in advance for one calendar year, within thirty (30) days of the billing date, the amount due will be less ten percent (10 %) of the total amount payable.
3. The improvement district may, on 24 hours written notice, by trustee resolution order the water shut off to any premises on which there are any tolls or other charges owing for ninety days or longer from the due date. Water shut off under this section will be subject to the charges levied under section 5 of this bylaw.
4. The owner of premises, whether occupied or vacant, to which a service connection has been made shall be responsible for the payment of all water tolls whether water is actually used or not; but the Trustees may by resolution reduce any toll fixed in the preceding clauses in respect of any premises not occupied throughout any period by an amount commensurate with the period the premises are unoccupied, provided the owner or occupant notifies the Trustees in writing as to the time the premises become or are to become unoccupied and the water supply is shut off for the period when the premises are not occupied, subject to the charges levied under Section 6 of this bylaw.
5. In addition to the aforementioned charges, there is fixed and made payable to the improvement district by every owner or occupier of premises in respect to which a request is made for the water supply to be turned off, or on the order of the Trustees, that the water supply be turned off, a charge of zero dollars. There is also fixed and made payable to the improvement district by every owner or occupier of premises in respect to which a request is made that the water be turned on, a charge of
6. This bylaw repeals Bylaw No.104, Twelfth Tolls Bylaw, 2019.
7. This bylaw may be cited as the “Fifteenth Tolls Bylaw, 2020.”
INTRODUCED and given first reading by the Trustees on the 11th day of February, 2020.
RECONSIDERED and finally passed by the Trustees on the 11th day of February, 2020.
Chair of the Trustees
I hereby certify that this is a true copy of Bylaw No. 108