Sointula Waterworks District
2017 Tolls BYLAW NO. 100
A bylaw for fixing tolls and other charges payable to the improvement district and the terms of payment thereof.
The Trustees of Sointula Waterworks District ENACT AS FOLLOWS:
The following monthly tolls are hereby fixed and made payable by all owners of land in the improvement district to which water is delivered from the works of the improvement district:
1. Unmetered Water Rates
a) In respect to each single-family dwelling, a toll of $20.00.
b) In respect of each single-family dwelling utilized as a multiple-dwelling, boarding house, bed and breakfast, etc. for transient, short term rentals, a toll of $ 20.00 plus, from June 1st to September 30th, $6.00 for each sleeping room available for rent and/or $7.00 for each sleeping room available for rent that includes a kitchenette.
c) In respect of each additional dwelling, cabin, trailer, or other accommodation on the same parcel of land utilizing one connection, using water from the improvement district’s works, and installed before May 27, 2009, a toll of $20.00.
d) In respect of each duplex, suite or apartment building, a toll per unit of $20.00.
e) In respect of each marine service centre or fuel service centre, a toll of $42.00.
f) In respect of each grocery/department store, a toll of $42.00 plus $6.00 per office or leased unit.
g) In respect of each hotel/motel, a toll of $42.00 plus $6.00 for each sleeping room available for rent and/or $7.00 for each sleeping room available for rent that includes a kitchenette, plus $6.00 per leased unit.
h) In respect of each restaurant, coffee shop, drinking establishment, deli, or bakery, whether operated separately or in conjunction with any other type of business, a toll of $42.00 plus $6.00 per office, and from June 1st to September 30th for transient, short term rentals, $6.00 for each sleeping room available for rent and/or $7.00 for each sleeping room available for rent that includes a kitchenette
i) In respect of each laundromat, shower, or car wash facility, a toll of $42.00 plus $4.00 per washing machine, shower unit or car wash unit.
j) In respect of each school, a toll of $42.00 plus $4.00 per classroom.
k) In respect of each trailer court, camp site, etc., having central washrooms or laundry facilities (does not include mobile home courts), a toll of $42.00 plus $4.00 per washing machine and/or shower unit.
l) In respect of each fishing company with ice making capacity of over 10 tons, a toll of $220.00.
m) In respect of each fishing plant, a toll of $153.00.
n) In respect of the Harbour Authority for each wharf finger, a toll of $21.00.
o) In respect of each senior citizen’s housing complex, a toll of $7.00 per unit.
p) In respect to a business or commercial enterprise not listed separately in this bylaw, a toll of $42.00.
q) In respect to any building or premises having commercial space leased out, and not listed separately in this bylaw, a toll of $42.00 plus $6.00 per leased unit.
r) The district has determined that the following are exempt of toll charges:
- Public health/medical centres
- Public Museum
- Public Seniors Centre
- Community Church
- Public Recreation Association buildings
- Public library
- Public fire hall
- Community garden connection
2. The owners of premises will have the option of being billed monthly, bi-monthly or yearly. If the tolls are paid in advance for one calendar year, within thirty (30) days of the billing date, the amount due will be less ten percent (10 %) of the total amount payable.
3. If the owners of premises choose to be billed monthly or bi-monthly the tolls are due and payable on or before the last day of the month or second month.
4. The improvement district may, on 24 hours written notice, by trustee resolution order the water shut off to any premises on which there are any tolls or other charges owing for ninety days or longer from the due date. Water shut off under this section will be subject to the charges levied under section 6 of this bylaw.
5. The owner of premises, whether occupied or vacant, to which a service connection has been made shall be responsible for the payment of all water tolls whether water is actually used or not; but the Trustees may by resolution reduce any toll fixed in the preceding clauses in respect of any premises not occupied throughout any period by an amount commensurate with the period the premises are unoccupied, provided the owner or occupant notifies the Trustees in writing as to the time the premises become or are to become unoccupied and the water supply is shut off for the period when the premises are not occupied, subject to the charges levied under Section 6 of this bylaw.
6. In addition to the aforementioned charges, there is fixed and made payable to the improvement district by every owner or occupier of premises in respect to which a request is made for the water supply to be turned off, or on the order of the Trustees, that the water supply be turned off, a charge of zero dollars. There is also fixed and made payable to the improvement district by every owner or occupier of premises in respect to which a request is made that the water be turned on, a charge of $60.00.
7. Water Meters
a) Sointula Waterworks District, at its discretion, may at any time substitute a metered service for an unmetered service to any premises at the owners’ expense, such installation to occur at the convenience of the District. The meter once installed then becomes the property of Sointula Waterworks District.
b) A meter area must be kept clear of debris, plants, bushes and be accessible for meter reading and repairs. The Improvement District is not liable for possessions impeding the accessibility of the meter area. Written notification, sent by registered mail, will be given to the landowner for action. The landowner will be given 2 months to comply. Failure to comply with notification will result in the district contracting out the clearing and a clearing charge, as set out in the Miscellaneous Service Charge Bylaw #80, charged to the landowner.
c) The following tolls are hereby fixed and made payable by all owners of residential and commercial property within the District which have a water meter at the commencement of a billing period.
Minimum charge per cubic metre, includes15 cubic metres usage, monthly $34.00
*Meters will be read on the last working days of the month.
8. This bylaw repeals Bylaw No.96, Eleventh Tolls Bylaw, 2014.
9. This bylaw may be cited as the “Twelfth Tolls Bylaw, 2017.”
INTRODUCED and given first reading by the Trustees on the 10th day of January, 2017.
RECONSIDERED and finally passed by the Trustees on the 15th day of February, 2017.